Thursday, August 18, 2016

Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade


Everything in this world is about change, often forced upon us. Technology is driving this situation. By going along with it, we are supposed to get a better quality product or service. I have got to point where I no longer trust this constant change and the reasons behind it.

A classic example is Microsoft. I had the XP operating system that I was happy with and so was everyone else, except Microsoft. They wanted to improve it, so out came Vista. That was not a well received system, despite the fact it was an 'improvement' on XP. Vista was in turn replaced by 7, then 8 and now 10, all of which are in my mind were inferior to XP. Many wish they still had XP, including myself.

The problem is we are told the old systems are no longer supported by upgrades and security patches. It creates fear. My Vista system will no longer receive any support after April 2017. I get a message when I open Google that "This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported". Apparently "such older platforms are missing critical security updates and have a greater potential to be infected by viruses and malware". Often Google Chrome tells me to update it's browser but when I go to do it, I am taken to a site where it says the upgrade doesn't work with Vista. That's what I understand it to mean, but I keep getting the reminder.

Frankly I'm over technology. The people who sell it to you cannot provide a safe, secure and pleasant environment to operate in. Constant patches and forced upgrades are poorly executed and promised improvements for new products are more often giving us something worse than what we already had. When is someone going to sue some of these companies for false representation?

Technology is foisted upon us by companies who want to make money out of us. They employ young techno whizz kids who seem to be bereft of any practical wisdom. People just want to use a system they can get to know, use and can trust. Technology cannot deliver that to us. It is therefore an overwhelming failure.

Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. What a joke. We want simple, efficient. We get complicated. Humans think they are clever with this technology. Looking around the natural world I see clever. I look at human technology and I see plenty of stupid.

No comments: