Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Kilt

When I was a lad (preschool age), we were living in Australia. I don't remember this incident but my mother told me and thought it was funny.

One of the neighbours had emigrated from Scotland to their new land and their wee lad was given a kilt to wear. He obviously realised he was dressed differently to everyone else, which makes you wonder why parents would do that to a child. Anyway, my mother was near the kitchen window and heard this conversation.


"Would yer like meh kilt Ray?"

"No I don't"

"But yeh would look so good in it Ray"

"I don't want it. What would I want it for?"

"But Ray..."


He continued trying to give his precious kilt to me, but to no avail. Even at that age, I could tell it wasn't a fashion statement I wanted any involvement in. My mother laughed in the house as she heard the conversation continue, as he keenly sought to offload the 'precious' item.

I don't know why he had to wear it and he must have expressed that opinion to his parents. Making your children stand out as different in such a way isn't a good thing. He was clearly embarrassed. Thankfully even at that age, I had enough fashion sense to know what not to wear.

No comments: