Wednesday, December 3, 2014

A Wasted Lunch

Not the lunch spoken of here, but one left unfinished
A few days ago my wife walked past a public rubbish bin and noticed a ten year old (roughly) school boy dump his untouched lunch. He was on his way home and decided not to let his mum know he didn't eat it.

She peered into the bin to see two wholemeal bread sandwiches with a nice filling of meat and other things. There were two unpeeled oranges, a small pot of yogurt, a wrapped muesli bar and two sizable portions of crisps in cling wrap.

That sounds a good lunch to me. What he ate instead I wonder. Did he buy something instead? When my other half expressed surprise, he was unconcerned. I would have felt guilty if anyone questioned what I did, I would think of my parents working hard to feed me well. I also was raised to hate waste of any sort. 

This is an indulged generation who lack moral principals and are self centred. I don't actually blame the child so much as the parents who have allowed this attitude to develop. The NIV Bible states in Proverbs 22:6 "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it". I know in New Zealand as in many other 'Christian lands', Bible standards have been discarded.

While this incident in isolation is a poor decision by an indulged youth, it is perhaps symptomatic of a generation that isn't getting guidance. The lack of respect involved in the action is, however, concerning. 

No comments: