Sunday, April 25, 2010

Have A Drink

I drink when I'm happy and when I'm sad.
Sometimes I drink when I'm alone.
When I have company I consider it obligatory.
I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am.
Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty.


Unfortunately, some people live by the maxim above. Consumed moderately, alcohol generally produces feelings of relaxation and cheerfulness. Low doses of alcohol increase total sleep time and reduce awakening during the night. The strongest medical evidence exists for the link between moderate drinking and a reduced risk of heart disease.

When imbibed, alcohol flows through the blood stream and is metabolized by the liver, where the alcohol is broken down by enzymes. The liver can, on average, metabolize about one standard drink (one 12 ounce bottle of beer (about UK 340ml, US 350ml), one 4 ounce glass of wine (115/118ml) or 1.5 ounces of 40% alcohol (40/45ml) in one hour.

Some say alcohol is a drug. I call it a food. Food alters your mood and is good for you in moderation. Some people get addicted to food and become obese, hurting themselves. Erm, that sounds like alcohol too. I personally do not over eat and have never been intoxicated with any alcoholic drink. Therefore neither is a drug to me. They both nourish and enrich my life. One thing I do before drinking alcohol, is have a large glass of water (never chilled). Then I drink one standard drink, and usually eat a meal afterward. It works well for me.

PS. For some, even one drink is one too many. For those, abstinence is essential.

No comments: