Wednesday, January 6, 2010

In Which Pigeonhole Are You?

Pigeonholing is a term used to describe processes that attempt to classify disparate entities into a small number of categories (usually, mutually exclusive ones).
People do it to others and even to themselves. It creates a feeling of identity, belonging.

I remember the Cher song Half Breed, about a half European, half American Indian girl lost between two races because she wasn't one or the other. The song starts: My father married a pure Cherokee, my mother's people were ashamed of me. The Indians said I was white by law, the White Man always called me "Indian Squaw". She finishes by singing: My life since then has been from man to man, but I can't run away from what I am.

That's the pigeonhole mentality. In reality, she would have taken one culture so that she would belong somewhere, married into it and then her descendants would disappear into that race. People apparently must be called something, not mixed. The funny thing is mixed race people do rather well in their chosen fields. Tiger Woods, Barack Obama, OJ Simpson and M Ali. How are they classified, as Black? They are all mixed race.

Constantly marrying into your own race in one village eventually produces the village idiot. It's not genetically sound. A mongrel dog is much healthier than a pedigree. So why seek racial purity? Mixed race people look attractive too (see pic below).

Michael Jackson, as I would imagine all 'Africans' in the Americas, have some European ancestry. However, he didn't seem comfortable in his own skin and seemed to try become whiter. Shame. Why not be happy with who we are?

If someone came to me and proved I was part 'something' in my ancestry, well whoopy do. It's interesting but I would still be the same, lovable guy (OK, I jest). I don't live in a pigeonhole, I am me, an individual living in a world of other individuals. Fly away from the pigeonhole and accept who you are, not in a pigeonhole but an individual, just like our Creator sees you. Acts 10:34-35(NIV) "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right..

No comments: