Friday, January 15, 2010

California Quail


The native NZ quail became extinct in NZ in 1875, but we have three introduced varieties. The one I see repeatedly is the Californian type. The other day, one was trying to enter the house through the window. Perhaps the glass confused him. He was quite fat so I assume the nearby wild fruits had been taken full advantage of. I didn't get close or it would have taken to flight. The first photo was when he was trying to get in the house.

The second photo (below) was when he went to the fence between us and the neighbours and surveyed the garden.

They are a very common sight here when walking in reserve areas and behind our house which is reserve area too. Sometimes there is also Mumma Quail and a line of baby Quail. Daddy Quail is always taking the lead and very watchful of danger so photographing them is difficult. If I can one day, I will post them on a blog.

No comments: