Sunday, May 17, 2015

UK (Northern) Sayings I Grew Up With

Delicious Scouse (lamb, potatoes & veges). The left overs the next day 
were put in my school sandwiches, it was so thick once it had cooled. 
Yum

Growing up in family from North England, there were so many sayings and words that people in New Zealand didn't know or use. Many dropped out of family usage in as the years passed and I have forgotten them, but whenever I hear them again it brings back memories. Their origins could be from anywhere in the UK and maybe some of the meanings different to what others think. A few I remember - and how I took them in the context they were used - are as follows:

Jammy: Undeserved good luck.

Give over: Stop it, don't be silly.

Lady muck: Someone who feels important but isn't.

Muggins: When taken advantage of.

Get your clogs on: Put your shoes on.

You do that and I'll carry the bricks: Sarcastically saying I got the hard job to do.

Once every Preston guild: An extremely rare occurrence.

It's all me eye and Peggy Martin: Not believable.

You must have been born in a field with the gate left open: Close the door.

There's none so queer as folk: People can be strange at times.

Ayup: Watch out, be careful, or what are you up to?

Nesh: Someone who felt the cold too easily.

Get away with you: I don't believe you, or don't be silly.

You're whippet quick: Grabbing something before someone else got it.

Cheeky Monkey: A child who is naughty in a fun way.

Mac: Raincoat.

Wellies: Boots.

Standing there like one of Lewis's: Someone idly standing around.

Act daft and I'll buy you a coal yard: Someone pretending to be ignorant to gain something, but it hasn't worked.

It's like Blackpool illuminations: When someone leaves lights on after vacating a room.  

He wouldn't give you last year's Echo: Someone so mean they wouldn't give you a newspaper from last year.

Here's your hat, what's your hurry?: When someone was made to feel it was time to leave.

Fish 'n Chips with mushy peas. Luv'leh

No comments: