Sunday, July 27, 2014

Media Nonsense

I was reading an article about a car maker who reduced it's prices on some models by seven percent. It was reported at one website in the headline as 'prices slashed', where as at another the title used was 'prices cut'. So is 7% a price cut or a price slash? Cut means 'cutting the price of merchandise to one lower' but slash means 'to reduce or curtail drastically'. I would say the source that used 'slash' was being sensationalist, while the other gave a fair indication of the situation.

A new car has just been introduced to a market where the title was about how a safety feature it has in Europe will not be on the local specification car. The feature is of marginal benefit for that country, and keeps the price more reasonable. I am glad autonomous braking is left off as paying for this is nonsense to me. I don't want a car braking whenever it deems necessary. I would rather rely on my own careful driving and not assuming the car will do it for me. Such aids can encourage less vigilance in my opinion.

But why front up an article with such a minor point? The comments poured in as some said they would never buy the car, while others thought as I did. Objective achieved. Sensational heading draws readers.


So all we can do is use our reasoning power to see past the headline. Thinking about what we read and thinking about how logical it is will stop us being manipulated. Then when important things come up in the media, we don't get duped. Don't just believe the sensational nonsense from many in the media.

No comments: